It's only a month since I was weighed in RH hospital (just before hitting the departure lounge - when the F*** did it happen that Hospitals began to think they were akin to Airports? We'd sure not pay for some of the flights!) and I've lost one stone and 3 pounds. This is soley down to the great pain fear and cutting out fried food, cheese, (everything dairy EXCEPT products made with skimmed milk), eggs, red-meat, take-aways and high fat convenience foods er which is all convenience foods (even pre-packed 'healthy meals'tuna and pasta and salad seem to gain an unseemly 15grams of fat in the packaging process), oh yes and chocolate, (yup I want pity). Basically anything with more than 3.6 grams of fat per 100grams IS OUT. Obviously I've consumed my weight in fruit and veg (but not avocado). The first couple of weeks were hell. But I choose something else... I realise now how very addicted to food I am. It's definately much easier now, but those first 2 weeks were so difficult I'd almost describe it as painful, even being in the same room with people eating my typical food craving stuff, crisps, pizza, chips, even a shop bought ready-made sandwich would stir me into a junkie-esque turmoil! It's hard to explain to someone who hasn't used eating as an emotional crutch just how frustrating it is, and the feeling of being hijacked by desire one can feel. OUT OF CONTROL. Feeling good for eating better, though that is no great suprise is it? ;-). Even been for a (ok shortish) walk down by the Rodley canal today, ankle a bit sore/stiff now but I'm starting to feel i have thigh muscles once more.
Main fistula vein blew the other day and has now developed into small haematoma but apparently that's not all bad as it 'toughens them up'. Managing to stick religiously to a 3 times a week Factor 8/ Haemate P 3000units prophylasis regime, bear with me I'm new to all this. I'm still at the stage where I feel I should get a lollipop or a gold star on the calendar for each attempt! My ALT (in liver function tests is still abnormal but greatly reduced from previous tests) at 55 (normal is less than 35), it was previously 165(!). Bilirubin is back within regular reference range but I'd figured that as my poo is now poo coloured again and occaisonally my wee isn't the colour of British Rail tea. TMI I know, hell, that's my life.
I have tickets for Skinny Puppy in Manchester next week :) *bounce*
Monday, 6 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
H you have my total sympathy and admiration for facing and handling your addiction so well.
Dunno how I'd have coped with such a deprivation of the things I love, but I guess when you have gallbladder hell it kind of puts you off eating good stuff.
Scissor Sisters on my list of btsbid. Was trying to get mates to come with me to gig in Brighton this time round but no-one would commit. Next time I'm just gonna book it dammit.
Good luck with your preops hon.
x
I am a compulsive eater. Moments of some days are hell, but it's got a lot easier. I've actually put food in my mouth, remebered the pain and taken food out of my mouth to date lol.
We need to commit to a btsbId list :). Do you ever come to gigs in Manc? - I sometimes do mancy gigging.
And thanks, hopefully come and catch up with you over next fortnight.
h x
Post a Comment