Sunday, 21 October 2007

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exagerated...

Well...erm it's a long one and it's quite TMI too, so do feel free to skip to the loo my darling...

I got all the Valium and Emla I needed due to my canny ways and handbag lining ;).I really am the wussy lord of wussville.

The anaesthetists(aside from their row in theatre over line placement!), surgical staff, Haematologists and nursing care in the Sheffield Royal Hallamshire were exemplary. The food wasn't bad either, no, really. I didn't have the splitting headache and partial (albeit temporary) paralysis and breathing difficulties of last time after a GA. I was intubated which was fine although it scratched the back of my throat and caused a mucosal bleed despite my Factor VIII levels reaching the heady heights of 91% after treatment (ie normal) and a healthy R:co F. I was quite relaxed about coughing up blood in recovery but lots of people ran around, I do forget that most people aren't used to the regular torrents of bleeding us bleeders. I was like 'it's just like a crisp injury' and then realised this sort of talk sounds absolutely bonkers to anyone outside of the severe bleeding disorders community.I mean like a crisp can catch the back of your throat and make you bleed right? Like crispy based pizza/French bread injuries have landed me with uncontrollable mucosal mouth bleeds and a trip to hospital. Like a kitchen disco injury after a little energetic 'Vogueing' to Madonna landing on a twisted knee vogue movement indicates several days bed rest and several days Factor VIII IV's. Yes? Oh the sleep injury was the best though, a 5 inch square abdominal haematoma from accidently rolling on my hairbrush in my sleep.Why the fuck was I in bed with a hairbrush anyway? I digress.

The op was managed laporoscopically which is FANTASTIC as I only have 4 small abdominal scars and a jugular stab(there was scar tissue from Feb procedure so the central line didn't happen) I ended up with a Picc line in my arm. Both my jugulars are scarred up, the other side from the port-a-cath op. The Picc had to come out on day 3 due to a rather impressive infection THE PUS!!!! I'm not entirely suprised the dressing wasn't entirely water-tight and ship shape and I had 30minute blood pressure done on the arm for the first 18 hrs post op -ow and *weary*, and then 2 hourly back on the ward.

My liver and gallbladder were reluctant to let go of one another so I ended up delaying lunch for some poor sods and my kindly and long suffering liver kicking out apx a pint and a half (blood not Stella, allegedly). Apparently I have rather impressive adhesions internally, which is a bit bemusing as I've never had abdominal surgery before. Does anyone know why one gets spontaneous adhesions?

Apparently "You did well"(I'm not entirely sure they weren't being sarcastic) by sitting up and insisting on a commode in recovery, and asking what my R:CoF and Factor VIII levels were - I could tell they thought I was entirely mad, they kept telling me I wouldn't remember things in recovery, I did so ner :P, control freaks DO! They brought a bed pan and I stared at it, then them, then it, it was a silent stand-off momentarilly. What do you want me to do, my right arm is being squeezed to blessed oblivion, I am 19 stone and my left arm is utterly fucked from arthropathy (damage from joint bleeds), I may aswell piss the bed, but do you know what? I have my pride. So I hung on till High Dependency Unit where they reluctantly brought a commode. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. By 9am the following day I had managed to sit in a chair and change my lovely flattering dvt stockings and have a pretty thorough bed-bath, well more a chair wash.And use the commode unassisted 9 times. Go my bladder!

I took paracetamol, the morphine pump and DF118's like they was seriously going out of fashion. I am no martyr to pain.

The Haemophilia Staff were so exemplary I just can't express my gratitude though I did try by writing 2 thank you cards and buying luxury Belgian biscuits and chocolates. Words and confectionary seriously can't express the gratitude of getting me through and totally re-assuring me like had never happened in my first 32yrs as a patient on this planet. I saw my Haematologist 5 times on the day of surgery, jeez, you'd think I was a worry to them or summat!

Steve/networm (whom I broke up with on the 10th of August 2007 after a 13 week relationship) would have been a star in this tome, for dropping me off at hospital on Thursday arvo, had he not thrown my door keys at me and texted me his suicide note on my return from the High Dependency Unit. That is what we call SPESHUL, and that my dears underlines and full-stops any friendship(he's still alive btw).He can't seem to decide whether to blame his heartbreak off me/Bev and her bump and grind dancing or Amitriptyline, no I'm serious. How about 'Steve you're a bit of a fucktard drama queen'. Enough already.

Back on the Surgical ward (oh yes I get around) I got a dear old lady in a wheelchair in the opposite bed, who was clearly quite quite insane following me to the loo, I mean, every time I went to the loo. She would wheel back and forth outside as I tried to discreetly 'toilet' while she irritatingly played with my drip pump(it wouldn't fit in the loo with me) and ask me inane questions. I really don't take kindly to company in the bathroom department and by the time she had threaded her dressing gown chord through the door handle and was hanging onto it with her MOUTH I called for Sister. She threw herself on the floor (Andy and Lou scene anyone?!?!?!) and the nurses were only 'allowed' (by her) to pull her out of the bathroom while she knelt on a pillow. My my, have you never heard of Barbara Woodhouse, let them get the upper hand and it's a slippery slope. I was reassuringly moved to Haematology ward the next lunch time - (phew!) and spent a chipper few days with Glenis a wonderful Sheffielder(leukaemia) and Karin a wonderful Black Forester with an unusual and rare disease characterised by amiloidosis and low albumin? We had a hoot and discussed shopping in Berlin and Matalan too :).

Eventually our clan was broken up and we all moved to separate bays, within 24hrs I witnessed a 20 year old girl die (twice), sweet Faye in the pinkest pyjamas. I've seen human death twice (ok technically 3 times now) and I can tell you this much it's fucking traumatic. Hats off to all those in the medical profession. Those that keep their heads when all abouts are losing theirs and then turn up for the next shift and run the risk of it all happening again. (It was hypovolemic shock brought on by intestinal bleeding, due to the type of leukaemia/chemo she had). Her mum, sis and boyf came to the bay the next day to see us all. I didn't know what to say, "I'm so sorry" doesn't really cut it, does it? Are words really the most powerful drugs known to mankind? Her dad just stood at the nurses station and sobbed. He works in the Hallamshire.I can't even begin to imagine the pain a parent must go through losing a child. The reverse is devastating enough.

Eventually my Docs let me know that the constipation and gastro-intestinal bleeding I've been experiencing since spring is NOT due to gallbladder disease. I was shipped off to the see the Colorectal surgeon who is operating on me on the 6th November. He thinks I have a prolapsed bowel or something else that needs surgery *cue scared mode*. I have no idea why? Apart from I'm fat, it's bound to be cos I'm fat, your arm aches-it's cos your fat, your hamster dies- yo FATTY! Just goes to show pelvic floor exercises which I've regularly practised all my sexual life aren't up to that-fucking-much! Cue a depressed couple of days. The two highest morbidity risks with von Willebrands type 3 in GI bleeding or brain haemorrhage. *slump*

Oh I put 3.5 kilos on in a week but that turned out to be poo and after several sachets of Movicol and 6 senna and a home made enema(I have 10mls syringes/Emal/saline-can travel!) I now weigh what I did pre-admission!

I'm at my parents for a couple of days, my pre-op assessment back in Sheffield on Wednesday, I'll be celebrating my 36th birthday both Friday and Saturday (much like the queen). Not Queen though.

My friends are rocks (and pretty moss ridden aesthetically pleasing ones at that)thanks to all the good wishes, texts, messages and visits. Especially the fleshy ones, mum and dad, Doug, Kerry and Mark, Mark, and dear dear gillywoo for the fully loaded mp3 player, beware as I enter this new millenium!

I managed to read the whole of Mitch Albom's - One More Day, about a broken suicidal chap who loses his job and family and takes his own life only to spend one more day with his mother-righting wrongs. One more day - how would you use it?

Richard Dawkins-The God Delusion I managed to get from page 37-48 - I blame the dihydrocodeine.

John Irving - The Cider House Rules - another 10 pages - see below excuse

Paul Darrow - You're Him Aren't You - 51 blessedly good pages, in fact I re-read every scrap of detail repeatedly. Sadly it's come a cropper - the tea lady spilled tea on it whilst I slept, which rather begs the question do I look like I like cold tea ON AVON??!??!?!?!?! *snarl* and then it got soaked in the trying to save the life of sweet Faye, which is totally forgivable, even though I am a fan. I shall just have to procure another copy to keep in an airtight vault :).

Marge Piercy-Gone To Soldiers - it's a novel about WWII from a womans perspective /factory lines/food lines and behind enemy lines. If you've never read Piercy start with Woman On The Edge Of Time a dichotomy of sad and uplifting, with a haunting, spiritual edge, a utopian fantasy. Its stays.

Blessings xxxx

ps my words for going under this time were "yum, mmmm, thank you". I think I'm an aneasthetic whore!

6 comments:

Jason Paul Tolmie said...

You know what? I knew you'd post with this title! It's the first thing that came into my head when I thought about your pre-op post. Go Anna Grant! Go!
Great post btw. So happy to hear that all went so smoothly...ok, smoothly for a typeIII vWd anyway! You did great!
Poor old Avon eh! Does he like tea? Or was it that the tea lady doesn't like Avon? Either way it is a quite tragic act to pour red hot boiling tea on such a man and his crisp white pages...actually, he'd probably rather enjoy it if it was Commander Sleer that was in charge of the tea trolly;)

Let's hope you find another copy eh!

Take it easy H and get well soon my dear...


Jaex


P.s. What is a/an F.T? (I thought it was you btw;)

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

re: title, takes one(sad fan) to know one mi dear!

re Anna Grant: Did you read the book Paul Darrow wrote, obviously I have no idea of the title but remember yellow cover and a sex scene, flaming Nora (!) that book stayed on my bedside table for some time if I recall!

It did go v smoothly apart from the unrelated tragedies thanks :). (I'm a little *more* hesitant about the next incarceration seeing as mi mate caught MRSA on this ward twice in 2007! I will be known Dettol woman and bring my own Zyklon B to boot.)

I don't know what the tea lady(I use the term lady extremely loosely) was thinking but I did note she went on holiday immediately after. She's possibly the most curt and miserable woman in the hospital, so perhaps she needs these small victories. However, it's an old wall tea-lady, it waits! The pages aren't that crisp all things considered(I mean the water jug incident!)

I will find another copy (online)and cheaper than Waterstones Huddersfield!

oh and FT - I was referring to the fabric of Jacs delightful jacket/top, Federation Trooper!

I've sent a link to my blog to a couple of non-bloggy mates (sounds like a disease doesn't it) over time and am happy to say I must have entirely alienated them now with either 1, B7 references and 2, miserable lyrics!

How are you chicken?

I'm just online briefly on dads dial-up, I decided to recouperate in the country (and become allergic to my ex cat). However, I managed my first retail therapy today so must be well on the road to total female recovery!

Down n safe ;)

H x

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

Christ on a fucking bike - how many ! marks does a woman need. I type and swear like a teenager.

Ros said...

I think the swearing thing is bleeder related - or at least that's my fucking excuse from now on!

Can't really type at the mo cos all the lights in the cellar have blown but just wanted to say well bloody done for going through that major op without a whimper!! Sounds like they've got your care sorted at the Hallamshire - bar the tea whore who clearly needs replacing!

I'm going for an exclamatory new record!! If you know what I mean! I have an addiction to the little buggers!!!

Loved your account of the op. Very funny and also scarily familiar and kind of sad too - the prospect of yet another bloody admission. I sat bolt upright in ICU and told Ade off for burping loudly over my bed - understandable I thought - just nearly yanked me central line out but manners are far more important at a time like that eh??

Ahhhh Hudders, I went to college there y'know - they were t'days.

Enjoy your mini-break love.

And Happy Birthday!!! (Tipped off by Jae:)

Jason Paul Tolmie said...

"I think the swearing thing is bleeder related"

I totally fucking agree Ros...

'A friend who bleeds is better' said...

Fuck me, it's cunting Sunday already.

Hi.

I can only just type, but can't sleep/think. Thought my pal mikey was dead on mi kitchen sofa but he just snored which makes everything ok.

My mum made me a cake and sausage rolls which impressed my (alleged) friends, no end. I've accumulated a strange man in the living room, called TONI BASIL, ok, I made that bit up. But he is there and alive and has big bug eyelashes and has been told he's gay(not ghey) several times over tonight (by me). We kareokee'd Nick and Kylie(me Kylie for a change). Really, I prefer to be the blugeoneer but let's not split hairs. I know I can be charming, just sometimes it alludes me.

/End.