Friday, 28 September 2007

Oh noooooes!

Mayor parks his car in disabled bay
... and then goes to Special Olympics event
Friday, September 28, 2007

By Deborah McAleese

An Ulster Mayor was under fire today for parking a luxury sports car in a disabled parking bay while he was attending a Special Olympics event.

Newtownabbey Mayor Nigel Hamilton, who does not possess a blue parking badge, left the silver Chrysler Crossfire at the council's Mossley Mill headquarters for more than 12 hours in a spot clearly reserved for disabled drivers.

And, despite his actions being criticised by the disabled rights group Disability Action, the DUP councillor has refused to apologise, saying he did not intentionally park in a disabled bay but had simply followed the advice of a security guard who advised him to leave his car there.

Mr Hamilton parked the vehicle at the council offices on Monday evening before travelling by council-owned car to attend a cross-border function in Drogheda.

The car was still there on Tuesday while Mr Hamilton attended a Special Olympics function - an event which caters for disabled athletes.

"I don't have to smooth anything over because I feel I have done nothing wrong," he said.

"I did not intentionally park in a disabled parking bay. I was leaving my car there overnight and the security guard told me to park it there so he could keep an eye on it. I did not ask to leave the car there.

"I am very upset about all this. It is a smear on me. I have Haemophilia and Hepatitis C and I do a lot to represent the disabled community. All this is reflecting me in a light that is not an honest light. I am cut up and hurt about this.

"I have never parked in a disabled parking bay before and only did so because I was advised to."

Council colleague Jackie Mann, a blue badge holder, said: "This is a cheap shot at the Mayor. Lots of other people park there who are not entitled to it. Why are there complaints when the Mayor parks there?"

However, chief executive of Disability Action, Monica Wilson, said that, whatever the reason, it remained unacceptable for a driver to park in a disabled bay if they are not disabled.

"It doesn't matter who tells you if you can or you can't, it is not acceptable," she said.

"This is not about one council; it is about anywhere with designated parking. This is an issue about access to a limited resource. Parking bays are there for a purpose and they should be kept free. We are running a Baywatch campaign to raise awareness of this issue and I would call on all elected representatives to support it."

Access officer for Disability Action, Margaret Matthews, added: "When people abuse or misuse (these parking bays), disabled people have to go and park elsewhere."

No comments: